Skip to main content

PO1 : Final Installation

 


Black River

Media Installation

Audio & Video Sculpture



Black River is a media installation exploring displacement and the longing for a deep connection towards a kind of homeland. At its center is an Inflatable Crocodile—a puppet trapped in an unending karaoke performance, forever singing a song about its life. Though it has no voice, its presence suggests an eternal loop of longing, echoing unheard stories of loss.


The work humanizes this fictional creature, evoking empathy and prompting reflection on our own connections to land. It investigates shifting ecological baselines—the way in which each living generation perceives nature’s decline as their “normal.” As ecosystems collapse, what we consider natural keeps shifting, obscuring what we’ve lost. Within this narrative, the crocodile longs for its polluted homeland and to be with other mutated crocodiles. Dwelling in a post-climate apocalypse where remnants of human industries remain and pollution becoming our final legacy.





This media installation incorporates the sculpture I made for the Bespoke Object Project, to create a mascot/puppet sculpture to drive the emotional aspect the work.









For the animated karaoke component I used the same model and rigged it in blender and animated using QuillVR. The song involved in this narrative was another layer of complexity, I personally have never written a song and this project was a great start to get there. I started by creating a prose about my life and took key points and used it to make the phrases on the song. My friend Julie Olive was kind enough to collaborate with me on this project and provided the vocals and composed the guitar melody for this song. Overall I was really trying to work in the satirical aspect of this song but I also wanted to the viewer to empathize. Julie's folk rendition of this song was just the icing on the cake. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

BLINK: Arduino

  Intro assignment for MADT 304   We make a LED blink, using a simple program directly from the Arduino.  Wiring Hookup: Output from PIN9 and 5v power and ground directly from the controller.  Code                                                int led = 9; void setup() { pinMode(led,OUTPUT); } void loop() { digitalWrite(led,HIGH); delay(500); digitalWrite(led,LOW); delay(500); }