Skip to main content

Paper Craft Research: Cybele Young

    

Cybele Young


Within Reach, 2015, Japanese paper construction, 32 x 28 x 2 inches


In this project we are tasked with researching the works of renowned papercraft artists/sculptors. We had a considerable amount of artists to choose from but the works of Cybele young stood out to me. 

Cybele Young is a Toronto-based artist and author, she utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to art making,
her works have this organic feel to it especially with the materiality of paper she uses, most of being Japanese mulberry paper "kozogami and Mitsumatagami' and hand crafted pieces. Young has a precise way of interacting with the medium, she juxtaposes the sculptures to create a sense of dialogue between them and it manifest into something theatrical like miniature papers plays.

  

"At Any Given Time"






     I took a liking Young's work because of its organic nature and manipulation of paper. Most Paper sculptors like Matthew Shlian  and Zim Zhou have a machine fabricated approach to cutting paper, it exceeds with precision but Youngs hands-on approach evokes a warm and considerate level of care. Her control of paper makes it appear like woven fabric or wool, totally mesmerizing to the eye and even more surprising when you take a closer look.
         




     We can see the wonderful use of mulberry paper below, multiple layers of the material exists and it has this fabric like character akin to felt. But it has been precisely cut and folded to appear seamless. I'm just charmed by the artists care for the material. 



I Thought They Worked Better. Paper. 33 x 28 x 2.5 in.





It Came With Me Everywhere. Paper. 19 x 38 x 4 in.



Sources ; 











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

BLINK: Arduino

  Intro assignment for MADT 304   We make a LED blink, using a simple program directly from the Arduino.  Wiring Hookup: Output from PIN9 and 5v power and ground directly from the controller.  Code                                                int led = 9; void setup() { pinMode(led,OUTPUT); } void loop() { digitalWrite(led,HIGH); delay(500); digitalWrite(led,LOW); delay(500); }