Skip to main content

Paper Craft: Flora Periculi




    Flora Periculi is an interactive installation that utilizes Paper Craft sculptures and LDR Sensors illuminated with UV-A light. Viewers are encouraged to play with the sculptures by waving their hands above it or blocking out the light to play music. The installation was inspired by theoretical plants and organisms that maybe found outside our planet.

Initially, I wanted these sculptures to exist off-world somewhere alien and different from our planet, maybe a different kind of sun and chemicals are present in its environment. It plays music as a way to ward off predators. But people visiting this new-world are drawn to its glow like moths to a flame, and simply play with the melodies it can produce without ever thinking of the consequences. 

Flora Periculi was derived from the latin words for Flower and Peril, It was developed as a critique of Europes age of Exploration, which eventually lead into the colonization of the Americas, South East Asia and Oceana's. It was a race for resources and the eventual exploitation of foreign natural resources. This installation alludes to the conquests of Europe and the discovery of coveted exotic resources that lead to its prosperity. Many of these resources are still exploited such as Rare metals and Petrochemicals often mined and damaging endangered ecosystems. 



There has been design changes for prototype, I've decided to utilize more polyhedron shapes with a simpler base. the original concept was designed to house a microcontroller and mini-speaker but I needed a plethora of these objects, it was simply not feasible for the installation. I eventually ended up with two similar designs with the same base allowing for modular shapes. The sculptures still double as a housing unit for the sensors but this time with more capacity, the wires can then be chained between each object appearing like roots. 

     Version 2:




      Version 3:






3D render 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.