Skip to main content

Object Design Assignment 1: Dur-Sharrukin




Dur-Sharrukin


An attempt at recreating this capital Palace/City State in present-day Khorsabad in northern Iraq. also known as "The Fortress of Sargon" the city was built within a decade and may have altered its surrounding landscape due to the sheer amount of timber and stone needed in attempts in completing the city (note: upper rendering and depiction is not faithful to an actual landscape). Unfortunately, after Sargon's death in the battle of 705 BC, the city was never fully finished as his successor Sennacherib transferred the capital to the city of Nineveh in the south.





This was rather difficult to model in Rhino because of its complicated design, so I decided to just focus on its central building and its atriums, I skipped the complicated ziggurat and its side wings just to create a simplified version. the structure is mainly rectangular in shape but consists of multiple layers, some lessons have been learned especially when combining shapes. I had a regular issue with the boolean tool and combining surfaces to patch up holes.



 To make the model easier I loosely followed the schematic and placed multiple rectangular surfaces lined up with the architectural plan and eventually extruded them to create some depth. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.