Skip to main content

Surface Design: Laser Engraving






    We were tasked with using our surface design studies to develop patterns for engraving on wood. Students where given free rein on what patterns to implement and were encouraged to take the project in any direction. I've decided to utilize this time to create a wood block pattern that I could stamp on to a paper and create a decorative pattern. 



As seen above the initial engraving was done on a basswood panel cut to a 4" x 4" square to be used as the template for the prints. The laser-engraving left a residue on the wood, At first I thought about clearing it with soapy water but decided to leave it so its pores would remain sealed. It saved me time as I no longer needed to apply a layer of enamel on the wood-block to seal it for the printing process. 




Finally, using a brayer I was able to apply black acrylic ink on the pattern and use it to stamp out the design on paper. 

I used the pattern to create paper folded birds inspired by the stripes of a Black and White Warbler. The final result as seen below the paper birds have rotund patterns creating an illusion of a curvy and plump.




Source: Lisa De Leon








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.