Skip to main content

3D-Printed Chess Set : Degenerative Systems


Our last milestone project for the Object Design this semester was to create a type of chess set. Students where allowed to have total agency over how the design/models would appear. 

We can see below is my take on the designs, I wanted to take it into a direction that talks about our Degenerative Economy under capitalism. According to Marjorie Kelly, "a Generative Economy is one that creates the conditions for life to flourish, an economy with a predisposition to be socially just and environmentally sustainable. In its current state all facets of modern society is exploitive and cannot be sustained because it requires natural resources with exponential needs based on growth hence the term Degenerative. 

  

Starting from the left is my Pawn (Exploited Labor), Knight (Compulsive Consumerism ex: Fast Fashion), King ( Energy Industry/ Major Polluter), Queen (Land Management/ Real Estate), Rook (Habitual Consumerism ex: Starbucks Coffee), and Bishop (Media/Tech).






Chess pieces have distinct characteristics based on a Monarchic hierarchy. For example my version of the pawn is a living coin. Because under Degenerative Systems, the working class would always earn less than the labor they provide to owners. The pawn provides profit to the rulers because they are the first level of exploitation necessary keep the system in place.

 




My original design for this project was putting the symbols of our systems into pedestals. Because we seem to essentialize materialism and implementing a keen focus on the superficial. 



I simply decided on a more cartoonish direction because honestly talking about this problem is incredibly depressing. Satirizing it instead would lead into some form of catharsis. Also I think they cute and simple.




Final 3d Prints: Most of the resemblances with the models transitioned well into the print. I did have  issues on certain models like the Coffee cup(rook) on the left which I printed on its front side. and the Happy Meal(Queen) which had a thing McDonalds "M" sign which ended up peeling off when I removed the supports. The Bryan Cera the  instructor kindly suggested splitting the label off and printing it separately which worked perfectly well.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.