Skip to main content

Madt 304 Milestone Project 1 Plan: Invasive



For the Milestone Project I wanted to build a small sound installation imitating critical habitats, to reinforce awareness about climate change and for viewers to have a sense of eco-responsibility. Entitled "Invasive" it refers to the consequences of human developments and disturbances within natural environments such as pollution, improper land management and exhaustion of finite ecological resources. 


This installation wants to re-create these habitats with the absence of natural fauna and recreating a fleeting memory of them through machines. Invasive is an Sound Installation consisting of multiple solenoids embedded in a small artificial marsh-like habitat programmed to mimic the sounds created by fauna such as Insects, Amphibians and Small Birds. 








These solenoids have a clicking sound when powered
and potentially(Atleast that is what I'm hoping) we can recreate the sounds by increasing the frequency of the clicks through PWM?





Percussive sounds may also be created by making the solenoids hit metal plates/nails.


Current Issues.

I have tested around this week how I can make the circuit work and I think there's some issues with using a relay and delay times of the solenoid. I probably need a controller of some kind? If the input delay is lower than 500ms there's not enough time for the solenoid to reset? 

I connected it the same way as the lamp-relay from an earlier blog post.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.