Skip to main content

REPLICATED/REMEDIATED: Design

 


From the previous algorithmic modelling project we branch into designing physical objects,
specifically for slip casting ceramics. Students where given freedom to design any object for casting but it has to be self supporting and possible to be done with a two part molding process.


Starting from the left was my initial designs, I mainly wanted something that had more of a textural experience to it. So designing it with the surface morph functions in grass hopper was fun process, but also riddled with a lot of hurdles that I ended up learning. 


From digital modelling it seemed like these objects would transition well but I started to have technical problems in the program such as rendering and closing surfaces to prepare it for 3d printing. I didn't consider how much calculations grasshopper does to create these models but somewhere along the line the projects file size started reaching 2gb along and soaking up my computers resources. 

It seemed like an easy fix by converting the Breps into Meshes but for some reason the program was having a hard time to calculate. So I ended up doing a variety of shapes and changing the designs over time and finally ending up with the last almost flattened model.


After some discussion with our instructor Bryan Cera, the model had to be adapted to work with the 2 part plaster molds. Because it had issues mainly Undercuts from the protruding hexagonal shapes, I managed to remedy it by reducing the depth and rounding the edges.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

BLINK: Arduino

  Intro assignment for MADT 304   We make a LED blink, using a simple program directly from the Arduino.  Wiring Hookup: Output from PIN9 and 5v power and ground directly from the controller.  Code                                                int led = 9; void setup() { pinMode(led,OUTPUT); } void loop() { digitalWrite(led,HIGH); delay(500); digitalWrite(led,LOW); delay(500); }