Skip to main content

PO1: Draping and Construction





Draping is the technique of using fabric directly to conform to solid forms, employing pins or adhesives to create a 3D pattern.


Originally, for the pattern construction I wanted to do all the processes within Rhino, but because of time constraints I needed to instead use draping to create my cutting guides. I initially 3d printed a small scale version of my model, and I wrapped it in masking tape to get a kind of reference of its surface.



Once I have it fully wrapped, I traced sections of where I want my seamlines to be and used its outline as a guide for cutting my fabric. This process has been developed by dressmakers and often used by cosplay artists to make their costumes. 



After a tedious time cutting the fabric, I begin to start sewing all my cut panels together. Manually cutting the fabric alone, took me an entire day and a few bruised knuckles mostly from fatigue.


Sewing all the panels together took 2 workdays including reinforcing each limb.


once fully stitched, I then used water proofing spray to make the fabric less porous. Normally I didn't need to do this finishing but the nylon I purchased didn't have a tighter weave than I usually expect.











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.