Skip to main content

P02: The Wishmaker

 


Project 02: The Wishmaker


Wishmaker (2025) is an experimental video performance where I explore the intersection of personal aspiration and ecological contemplation. Central to the piece is footage of myself attempting to inflate a windsock fashioned as a whale shark adorned with stars, symbolizing the cosmos. Accompanying this imagery are audio recordings from 38 individuals responding to the prompt, "What do you wish for the most?" The participants were encouraged to imagine if there existed an entity capable of granting wishes, what they would ask for. The non-hierarchical arrangement of these recordings allows the piece to unfold organically, avoiding a prescriptive narrative.

The choice of the whale shark motif reflects my fascination with its beauty and its profound ecological significance. By projecting participants' wishes into the sky through this iconic form, I aim to evoke a sense of interconnectedness with nature and the universe. While "Wishmaker" touches on themes of ecology and climate, its primary intention is to celebrate the inherent beauty of the whale shark and provoke contemplation on our relationship with the environment.

Through this project, I hope to inspire viewers to reflect on their own aspirations and consider our collective responsibility towards the natural world. Ultimately, Wishmaker invites viewers to gaze skyward with hope, imagining a world where our deepest wishes might find their place among the stars.




I followed similar processes to create this windsock from methods I learned from project one. It all started as digital models and was translated into a physical object through sewing PU coated nylon fabric to create an air tight vessel.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PO1: The Bespoke Object, Refining.

Week 2:  I pretty much spent the entire week modifying the model. Mostly to make it usable for patterning, and maybe to also have it ready for animation, but I might take a different route on that. It was possible to just use the draft model, but working from experience anything that is curved on an inflatable would have a tendency to straighten. Because air volume inside the soft structure would have a tendency to push on all directions. To mitigate this, I instead opted for a flatter structure that resembles a crocodile more than a salamander. I do appreciate the whimsy of the initial draft.   Tools Used: Nomad Sculpt, Blender, Rhino, Cozy Blanket. When designing models I tend to jump between software, Its easier to design soft and organic structures using mesh based modelling or sculpting. And I happen to have a variety of choices to choose from, each with a with a specific strength but none can do it best.  Below is my workflow on Nomad Sculpt which is an I...

Interactive Circuit: LED Panner

 MADT 304 week 2: In this week we where tasked with wiring up an interactive circuit that can control multiple LEDs.  Class discussion also introduced the use of "if" statements which allow the use of Boolean logical  operators(>/</>=/<=/==/&&) in order to filter data flow or command events. Using a Potentiometer and mapping out thresholds with if  statements we can pan LEDs.  Code :                                              float potMapped; void setup() { // put your setup code here, to run once: Serial.begin(9600); pinMode(8, OUTPUT); pinMode(10, OUTPUT); pinMode(11, OUTPUT); pinMode(12, OUTPUT); pinMode(13, OUTPUT); } void loop() { // put your main code here, to run repeatedly: potMapped = map(analogRead(A1), 0, 1023, 0, 255); if (analogRead(A1) >= 0 && analogRead(A1) = 250 && analogRead(A1) 420 && ...

Relay Circuit: Arduino + Lamp

  Simple Relay circuit made for Arduino to control a lamp with a photocell. It uses a simple digital pin out to send a signal to trigger the relay and power on the lamp. Its similar to the blink setup code but instead of a small LED you are controlling another object with a larger voltage.